Technology and Business Trends
Until now, AIDC industry has been focusing on scanning (bar code
and other technologies described on our pages). However, we see
- More standardization in OS:; Portable data terminals
being based on more powerful and more open operating system
standards. Unique low-level OS modifications and device drivers
are being replaced by industry-standard device drivers supported
by Windows CE, PalmOS, Symbian EPOC, etc. AIDC vendors are
becoming product and device systems integrators.
- Both Industry-Specific and General Purpose Portable Devices -
not only industry spercific devices are being designed but many
general-purpose devices like Palm and Handspring are being
equipped with scanners. Added value comes through
functional-enhancing software from AIDC vendors like Symbol e.g.
SPT 1500 adds scanning to Palm devices
- RFID taking over from manual scanning high-value asset
- More Wireless LAN connected devices
- More IEEE 802.11-based ( a wireless LAN standard) devices - AIDC
vendors are giving up unique wireless LAN standards in favour of
- More integration between AIDC applications and supply-chain
More Content Coming Soon !