Proper Identification of Medication and Specimens for Patient Care:
Becton Dickinson Rx System and Dx Systems
To reduce preventable medication errors, Becton Dickinson (BD) has
developed two systems.
- Rx System enables nurses to access and record critical patient
information before administrating medication.
- Dx System ensures that specimens are collected from the right patient,
at the right time, in the right tube.
The key component of the solution is its capacity to bring handheld
devices to a patientís bedside and rapidly transfer mission-critical
information between handheld devices and a central database located on an
How the Solution Works
Using a Symbol 1740 computer with ScoutSync, medical professionals
can view, update, and send timely patient information contained within the
BD Rx/Dx Server from any location in the hospital.
- Symbol SPT 1740 computer incorporates a bar code scanner and network
communications technology running the Palm OS.
- Rx System interfaces with the hospitalís pharmacy information
- Dx System interfaces with the hospitalís laboratory information
- Riverbed ScoutSync 3.0 mobile exchange software provides the
connection between the Symbol 1740 device running Palm OS or Windows CE
2 or higher.
BDís preliminary studies have indicated that the BD Rx System could
potentially reduce medication errors by as much as two-thirds and save a
400-bed hospital more than $1 million each year.
For more information: